When it comes to Environmental impact and sustainability there are three areas to consider, the factory, the factory plus environmental cost of travel both business & individual commutes & the carbon embedded in our products.
Summary of some of the GSM Valtech Environmental Action Initiatives:
- Zero landfill since 2000
- All raw material waste is recycled.
- All chemical waste is recycled by specialist contractors.
- Currently we have 118kWh of on-site solar generation.
- Any residual electricity purchase has been green since 2013.
- Waste process heat used to partially heat the factory. This scheme is being extended with the design, manufacture and installation of an air-to-air heat exchanger on our paint shop curing oven during summer ‘23.
- We only use 5251 grade aluminium unless otherwise stipulated by our customers, which has 88.6% recycled content and is fully recyclable.
- All company cars are now either fully electric or plug in hybrid.
- We are currently testing a development solar air heater to assist in heating the factory.
- We’ve just moved over to a 4-day week to reduce utility consumption, reduce team member travelling & improve work-life balance.
- Additional roof insulation added to the factory.
- Auto shutdown on paint shop oven & compressors to reduce waste.
- All lighting has been LED since 2010 with the factory being controlled via proximity sensors.